Unable to quit Panorama X

After updating to the latest version of Panorama X, I’m having trouble quitting (on Sierra, also updated to the latest). When I try, I get this dialog:

But, as you can see (or you can just take my word for it), in fact no documents are open; I’ve already saved and closed the document I had open, preparatory to taking this screen shot. Getting past this incorrect dialog is not easy. Sometimes it results in a situation where Panorama does not close but now the Quit menu is disabled, so the only resort is to Force Quit.

Just downloaded and installed latest PanX build 2361. When I try to quit with no document open (to my knowledge) I get a dialog “You have 3 PanX documents with unconfirmed changes…” I can “Save and Quit”. If I click “Review Changes” no document windows pop up to save.

But I am not sure if this is a new one but when PanoramaX has no document open and I switch to another application and then switch back to PanX it creates a new empty document window. Maybe that’s the way it should be. I just never noticed that before.

Peter Kienle

Same phenomenon. I too can save and quit.
But if I click Review Changes, not only do no windows appear to save,
but the Quit option on the Panorama menu is greyed out and the only way I
can quit is a force quit from the dock.

Peter Kienle4 April2017 at 8:02 AM peterkienle

April 4

Just downloaded and installed latest PanX build 2361. When I try to quit with no document open (to my knowledge) I get a dialog "You have 3 PanX documents with unconfirmed changes....." I can "Save and Quit". If I click "Review Changes" no document windows pop up to save.

But I am not sure if this is a new one but when PanoramaX has no document open and I switch to another application and then switch back to PanX it creates a new empty document window. Maybe that's the way it should be. I just never noticed that before.

Peter Kienle

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

logo

William
Conable
, Alexander Workshops, LLC

| Mobile:
509-270-7492

815 Villard St.

Cheney, WA 99004

www.alexanderworkshops.com

Designed with WiseStamp - Get yours

I have a very generic (interpretation: simple, uncustomized) installation of Panorama X on Sierra 10.12.4. Upgrading to the latest version of Panorama X has not resulted in the aforementioned behavior.

Same problems at my end. Also noticed that if you try to open the Database Options dialog on a file you had open when the Quit & Review Changes button has been used Panorama X hangs with a spinning beach ball. I know this latest version had changes to this dialog that may or may not have initiated this problem.

If I run Panorama from the Downloads folder, I get this dialog asking about saving changes when I quit. However, if I run it from the Applications folder, it works ok. Not saying this is ok, just trying to figure out what is going on. It appears that when running from the Downloads folder that Gatekeeper Path Randomization is kicking in, which is odd since I thought I had disabled that to install Panorama 6.

I have this problem and I run it from my Applications folder. I am currently running macOS Sierra 10.12.5 Beta (16F43c).

I also get the problem even when running Panorama from the Applications folder.

I have a couple more pieces of data for you.

• If I open a database and then try to quit, it’s 4 documents instead of 3.

• Moreover, the database I have just opened is dirty even though I have not touched it: it is being dirtied at the moment of opening. There is nothing special about this database; it is effectively an empty test database with just the word “test” in the one field (A) of the one record.

Mine is in the Applications folder and
exhibits this problem.

Bill

Jim Rea4 April2017 at 11:28 AM

admin

April 4

If I run Panorama from the Downloads folder, I get this dialog asking about saving changes when I quit. However, if I run it from the Applications folder, it works ok. Not saying this is ok, just trying to figure out what is going on. It appears that when running from the Downloads folder that Gatekeeper Path Randomization is kicking in, which is odd since I thought I had disabled that to install Panorama 6.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

logo

William
Conable
, Alexander Workshops, LLC

| Mobile:
509-270-7492

815 Villard St.

Cheney, WA 99004

www.alexanderworkshops.com

Designed with WiseStamp - Get yours

I am not seeing this problem. Quitting Pan X works here without issues – with or without open documents. macOS 10.12.4, Pan X 0.1.032 (2361).

Still more info. I’m seeing the same thing on El Capitan.

With one difference. The database document that I open is not automatically dirtified. So the number of mysterious documents that need saving is three, not four, because the document I open is not one of them.

I’ve gone back to version 0.1.031. This behavior definitely doesn’t exist there! So whatever’s causing this, it’s something in the change to 0.1.032.

I now have a guess as to why some people don’t see the issue. The people who don’t see it are the ones whose System Preferences > General > “Ask to keep changes” checkbox is unchecked:

So if that guess is right, to experience the issue, check that checkbox, launch 0.1.032, and now you should see it. (Of course that guess might not be right, but it’s worth a try.)

For those of you that are seeing this problem, could you try running the application from ~/Applications (or anywhere in your user folder) and see if the same problem occurs?

I just further confirmed Matt’s suggested link by unchecking the “Ask to Keep changes…” option in the General preference panel and the problem disappeared completely. Rechecking that option then reintroduces the problem.

Running from within ~/Applications or elsewhere in the home folder makes no difference OMM.

I checked the box, and am still able to Quit w/o seeing that alert, which is kind of disappointing. The only way I see that dialog is to download and run from the Download folder.

i do have some theories as to what might be going on, however.

No, Matt, I have this option checked on my Mac because I want to be asked if I want to save changes. This is NOT the reason for your issue. You are just making the symptoms invisible when you deactivate this system preference.

Matt had a point, as far as I was concerned. I hadn’t been seeing the symptoms until I checked that box. Acting on a hunch, I had the Resources folder in the Panorama application bundle open when I quit. I chose to save and quit, and these 3 library databases changed their modification dates.

Prior to quitting, those files had a modification date from yesterday afternoon, so as Kurt says, the issue was there all along, but the symptoms were masked, because it was saving without asking.

Trying to review three open files, which don’t have windows, may explain the remaining symptoms.

@dave Brilliant! You may have found the actual three “databases” that are being modified.

Are you also seeing the part of the bug where you open a database and it is immediately marked as “dirty” even though it shouldn’t be?