Techniques for uploading files to the Database Exchange

This is the simplest technique I’ve been able to come up with, based on Gary’s and James’s initial forays.

1. Open the upload form and select Share>Add Database …. I find that I have to select this twice but that may not apply to others.

2. Fill in the data boxes. DO NOT press Validate.

3. Open or click in a Panorama X database, go to a procedure, remove and replace a character and save.

4. Return to the upload window, click on Validate, then click on Close.

5. I have found that, in every case, the window closes and re-opens with the Upload button available.

I’ve uploaded all of my current stuff so I can’t check this but I think that the above steps work only if you start off, not in the upload window, but in one of the already posted files in the sidebar.

Here is a revised approach. It looks ridiculous but it works.

1. Open the upload form and click in one of the uploaded databases in the left sidebar.
  2. Select Share>Add Database …
  3. Fill in the data boxes. DO NOT press Validate.
  4. Open or click in a Panorama X database, go to a procedure, remove and replace a character and save.
  5. Return to the upload window, click on Validate, then click on Close.

I have found that, without fail, the window closes and re-opens with the Upload button available.

Yeah, I have little dance that I did in order to get the close and re-open.

I’ve tried every trick I know to upload a file and after nearly an hour have given up. I cannot get the Exchange to let me take the final step in sharing no matter what methodology I use. Sigh…

I just tried it again and after several failed attempts that involved opening and closing other files and validating over and over it worked. When it did work it was the scenario where you click Close and the window closes, then re-opens with the Upload button activated.

Did my convoluted procedure work or have you been forced to invent a new one? I remain baffled by the complexity of what should be the simplest of tasks in this modern age.

It seems that in 10.2 the ability to add files to the Database Exchange remains difficult. After about a half dozen attempts through the entire process just now, I’ve given up. I cannot get the Upload button to activate.

Nothing was touched in this area of the code, so it won’t be any better or worse. It’s certainly been problematic so the whole upload process will probably need a rewrite at some point. It’s on my list but obviously not at the top of the list at this time.

James, are you not able to reproduce your previous success?

Nope, I even tried touching my nose while pulling my ear lobe.

This morning after several more tries I was ready to give up again and, as has happened some other times, the window closed, then instantly re-opened with the Upload button highlighted.

I have no idea what song and dance does it but it seems that sooner or later it does work.

Perseverance is the answer.