Tab direction in X?

Looks like this feature is way more popular than Jim ever imagined! :astonished:

Iā€™m going to go with the thought that we are better trained today to not whine about the things that may not yet be there. That Pano X is a work in progress and that it is not quite ready to be judged.

1 Like

Robert is dead right. A lack of loud complaint doesnā€™t signify a lack of desire.

I hope this cuts the line and gets to the front of the list. I miss it terribly.

I found it. I mistakenly looked in the text control in the object pane.

Or not. How do i make a button anything but white?

Make an object of any size, shape, or color you like including a graphic or a Font Amazing icon and put whatever code you want in its procedure box. Voila, a custom button. The actual buttons are limited to what Apple provides.

You can go to the Help menu and choose Panorama Database Exchange. When that window opens you can find my Custom Button Generator file on the scrolling side panel and download it. This will allow you create an endless variety of fully customizable buttons.

So still no Tab direction feature after over a year of bringing it up. Iā€™m looking for a program that supports it, any ideas?

No idea. I would only say that some features get added pretty slowly in Panorama. Jim obviously has a huge list of features and tweaks to implement and he has to prioritize. This one is clearly on a low priority list.

Iā€™d love to see it return too, but with the passage of time, it has become somewhat less critical to me and certainly not enough of a reason to abandon Panorama.

Peter

This will definitely get done eventually, as I mentioned before, Iā€™m a fan myself (thatā€™s how I thought up the feature in the first place). But itā€™s not technically trivial, and very few users know about it or used it. By my count just over 1% of forum members have asked about it in this thread. Iā€™m sure there are others that havenā€™t said anything, but still thatā€™s maybe 2-3% of forum members, and probably a smaller percentage of overall Panorama users (I assume forum members use more Panorama features than non-members).

As for other programs that support it, as far as I know Panoramaā€™s implementation of this feature is unique, though I could be wrong.

If you look at the release notes for the past year there have been hundreds of changes made. Obviously, every item canā€™t be on the top of the priority list.

Me too! I donā€™t use Panorama that often, but made the jump to X. Not happy that I have to do a workaround just to fill in a column of data in the data sheet! Please include it ASAP - thanks,

Eric Rivedal (User since Overviewā€¦ ā€™ 84?)

I thought Iā€™d posted this suggestion long ago but apparently not. What Iā€™ve done is put this in the .Initialize procedure of my more frequently opened databases:

definehotkeys "global", "control-tab", "downrecord editcell"

ā€¦ and a simple Control-tab gives me a vertical tab - left thumb and index finger trigger it easily.

2 Likes

Setup a Keyboard Maestro macro for Enter - Down Arrow and give it whatever keystroke you want. You can set it in KM to just be for Panorama X and activate/inactivate it there at will. Not (much) harder to set up than the Pan6 way and nearly as easy to use once setup. There are probably other macro programs that could do the same, perhaps cheaper; KM was just the one I chose after the virtual death of Quickeys. Like Panorama, KM appears to be able to do very complicated things and may take awhile to learn such, BUT simple things, like the above, can be figured out and done easily and quickly.

Thatā€™s a good idea. I havenā€™t used Quickeys in a long time - couldnā€™t find any news that it was no longer supported, but they still have a web site at Startly for some reason. Iā€™ll look into Keyboard Maestro, but I also liked the global routine that allows you to program it right into the database. For now i just made a form that has ā€œdownrecordā€ for the procedure on the last editable field and thatā€™s working. Thanks to all,

yepā€¦ Iā€™m another one who used the TAB DOWN feature quite often in Pan 6. And today, Iā€™ve come looking for it in X. Itā€™s very helpful when youā€™ve got several duplicate records, but just need to tab down the list to change, say, the date for each.

I suspect that this can be done using Karabiner Elements, which everyone who uses Panorama on a laptop Mac probably uses anyway.

I doubt that most Panorama users have ever heard of this program, but it is definitely one of the first things I install on a new computer. I always use it to make the right option key function as an Enter key. Karabiner Elements is free and available here:

Well now youā€™ve heard of a second person! I use it all the time. I was wondering myself where the oprion was in X but figured I wasnā€™t just yet finding it. Honestly I find X so much less intuitive than beofre, itā€™s a huge learning curve IMO.

I remain hopeful that Tab Down will be coming in the next update. Trying to move vertically through a couple hundred records for some quick data entry frequently had me entering into the wrong field.