Sierra macOS upgrade - Panorama 6 not working properly

This is a long running issue, having nothing to do with Sierra. Almost all macOS users have single word account names. For example, my account name is jimrea. The important part is there is no space in the account name. Usually macOS will not allow you to put a space in the account name. Occasionally, however, we’ll run into someone that has a account name with a space in it, as you apparently do. By occasionally I mean that we have encountered this three or four times in the past dozen years, so it is very rare.

Unfortunately, the Panorama Installer won’t work if the account name has a space in it, so that is the problem you are running into. There is no fix for this. You cannot change an existing account name, so the only thing you can do is create a new user account on your computer (see below), and use that to install Panorama. Once you’ve done that you can delete the new account and go back to your regular account, Panorama will work fine. (Or you can leave the new account around if you want, and just ignore it.)

I Googled and found these instructions for setting up a new user account. They are for Yosemite but I don’t think the steps have changed.

In step 4 it says to choose the type of user, you want administrator.

In step 5 you enter the name, and you can optionally enter an account name. Best bet is to let Apple generate the account name for you automatically, but if you do enter an account name, do not include any spaces.

Why don’t you try Dave’s advice and replace the entire Panorama folder with the working copy?

Thanks, Jim. I did set up a new user account, disabled the gatekeeper, and the installer started it’s work. However it stopped 6 times to tell me it could not write various files to disk and asked if I want to continue. I clicked “Yes” six times and was presented with the install log and on clicking “Exit Installer” was told Pan 6 would open.
It did but it was a stillbirth - everything frozen.
I can’t change permissions on the “Library” file, where I suspect some of these files have to go, as it says I don’t have permission. Further help please. Thank you.

@Tom9 I don’t see any mention of what version of macOS you are using. If you are using one of the recent macOS 10.12.1 or 10.12.2 builds that don’t work at all with Panorama 6, you’ll have to update – make sure you have macOS 10.12.2 (Build 16C41B) or later (the later is for any future readers of this post).

The Panorama installer doesn’t put any files in the Library folder.

Was it an administrator account? If it was a standard user account, that might account for the problems you encountered.

I am using 10.12.1 and will now upgrade to 10.12.2 and try everything again. It was indeed an administrator account.
Thanks,

Make sure it is at least Build 16C41B. I’m pretty sure there were earlier builds of 10.12.2 that did not work. The correct build might still be only available as part of the public beta, not thru the regular software update.

10.12.2 is generally not available but only through the beta program.

Robert Ameeti

I have downloaded the beta 10.12.2. Do I have to re-download the Pan 6 package through PanX again or can I use the previously down loaded Pan 6 package?

@tom9 You should be able to use the previously downloaded Pan 6 package.

Answering my own q. I did download Pan 6 again and after entering my licence site info for PanX it started to install. The installer again said it could not write 6 files to disk so I clicked “Yes” six times and it opened. I closed it then double clicked on a Pan db that opened, but opened in Pan sheets! The only way I can avoid this is to open Pan6 and open the db from inside the app.
I would like to thank all those people who put forward solutions to my problems. It took me a long time to implement them as I work on a film set and was trying to do all this on a portable router during downtimes. Thank you all.

Probably the easiest fix for this would be to simply remove Panorama Sheets from your system – I assume you aren’t using it. I think there is also an inexpensive utility you can buy that allows you to specify what exact application should open for each type of file, but the name of it is eluding me at the moment. Maybe it has the word “magic” in the name?

Click on the document that you want to change its ‘originator’. Do a Command-I. Change the ‘Open with’. Use the Change All… if you want all documents of that type to have a new originator app.

Robert Ameeti

Good news, Panorama 6.0 continues to function properly with the latest developer and public beta release of Sierra 10.12.2 (build 16C48b) which came out today. So, if you want to use Panorama 6.0 with one of the latest updates to Sierra, be sure you are using 10.12.2 build 16C41b or later.

Jeff or anyone else on this forum, Apple just released for the public Mac OS 10.12.2 and I was wondering if that means it’s safe to update my computer to Sierra and not have any trouble running Panorama 6 on it.
I have tried to find out what build it is, and there is no information. I assume that if it’s going public it would be the most up to date issue and be part of the build 16C48b and be ok to run Pan 6.

There hasn’t been an update in just about a month which I guess means there isn’t any problems.
So for anyone that knows, is the new public Sierra 10.12.2 safe and ok to use and install???
Thanks

It is build 16C67. As far as I can see after a few initial tests, Pan 6 and Pan X are running well.

The bug affecting Panorama was fixed three or four beta versions ago, and remains fixed in the release version of 10.12.2. Sierra I find is still much slower and less reliable than El Capitan, but if you need to run it, Panorama should be fine. Even with the latest versions, my new MacBook Pro 2016 randomly freezes for 5 to 10 seconds at times, and at times the Finder randomly locks up when dragging files from one folder to another, and needs to be relaunched. But Panorama 6 is working great!

Jeff,
Thanks. Since I am in no hurry to update think I will stay with ElCapitan until the summer. and after version 10.12.3 and 4 are made and work fine.
I had a bad experience with Microsoft Office, since a lot of my folders have ’ in front of them so that they show up on top, it’s been no problem for decades. But they just updated Office two weeks ago and all of a sudden World and Excel couldn’t find files and wouldn’t open them. Still haven’t gotten word from Microsoft other than they moved me back to the old software and said that my usage of ’ before file numbers was an anomaly and they needed to look into it.
The point is with Mac and their journey to merge OS with IOS it’s getting very tricky these days.