Shared/Enterprise: are "Secret" databases allowed?

Can shared databases (shared via Enterprise) be opened with “OpenSecret()”?
My database crashes big-time if I try to do that, and I just want to determine if it’s my coding skills (probably) or a limitation with shared databases?

Thanks,

– Mark

Yes, they can but they still try to connect which can cause a long delay if they can’t find the server.

1 Like

Follow-on question: if an Enterprise/shared database is opened with OpenSecret why would the menu change from my “custom” menu to a standard menu?

Sequence:

1. Open a non-shared database, which runs .Initialize
  2. It opens a shared database with the code shown below these steps. (Yes, the database exists in the same folder. :wink: )
  3. Then, it sets up the menu with FileMenuBar "Action -Wizard", "" in the .Initialize procedure. It’s supposed to look like this:
    08%20PM
  4. Once .Initialize completes, the menu has different items in it, like this:
    26%20PM
  5. Interesting note: if the FileMenuBar "Action -Wizard", "" is called before opening the shared database, the file menu looks like this (Note: no “Action” menu):
    55%20PM

Here’s the code that opens the shared database:

Local aDB
aDB = FolderPath(DBFolder())+"mySharedDB"
OpenSecret aDB

If I switch out of Panorama, to any other app (Finder, Chrome, etc), and then return to Panorama, the menu has returned to its “correct” state (See step #3, above)

I did try adding the following after at the end of .Initialize, just in case it was an “event loop” issue, but to no avail:

Global ExecuteASAP
ExecuteASAP = {
    Undefine ExecuteASAP
    FileMenuBar "Action -Wizard", "" }

Any ideas on how to address this?

Thanks,

– Mark

I can’t speak to your secret database issue, but problems with menus not updating properly, especially when opening database, were an ongoing problem with “classic” versions of Panorama. I put a lot of effort into trying to fix this, and made some progress, but never could get it to work 100% correctly.