Recordvalue( function?

The topic about PasteCell and comments about the rudeness of using the clipboard makes me think of the times when I have copied and pasted records, losing whatever I had in the clipboard. It seems, particularly with the advent of binary dictionaries, that it would be possible to get the values of an entire record and put them into a new or different record without using the pasteboard. I suspect this would not be difficult to implement. I just feel like I am so far behind on Panorama X that it would take me a long time to get to it.

You should be able to do this reliably with the exportline() function and the importline statement (you’ll need to use addrecord or insertrecord to actually add a new record). I believe in Panorama X this will reliably duplicate the data even if there are numeric, date, or binary fields.

Yesterday I was in a hurry, and I didn’t answer your question fully. I think that exportline()/importline is probably the best replacement for copyrecord/pasterecord if you don’t want to use the clipboard. But you are entirely correct that this could also be done with a dictionary. There might be some advantages to doing it that way if you wanted to manipulate the data in some way in between. As you say, this would not be too difficult to do with looparray and the dbinfo( function, I would think only a dozen lines of code or so, if that. Perhaps at some point I will make custom statements that do this.