PanoramaX crashes

I have had several crashes of PanoramaX in the past week or so. I’ve reported them to support. They told me that PanoramaX checks for crashes when it opens and sends them a report if it has. They checked their database and they have no reports from me.

They are suggesting that I may have some software that is blocking the sending of the report or there may be some computer setting that prevents transmission. They are unable to give me any clues as to what to look for because they have never encountered this issue.

If anyone has any ideas on what may be the issue, the help would be appreciated.

Your Mac’s Firewall settings do not block outgoing connections. Do you use any other Firewall software? Or do you use an app like LittleSnitch or HandOff that are able to block outgoing connections?

I use only the Mac firewall. I do not use either of the apps you mention. I do use the AdGuard app to block unwanted ads, pop-up, etc.

You might be interested to find past correspondence from me regarding “crashes” - after some back and forth ProVUE support advised locating and discarding “com.provue.PanoramaX.plist” (Panorama Preferences) which enabled me to access a copy the Panorama file I was having trouble with. Note the native file is apparently corrupted and in all cases I’ve had to recover from a backup.

Here is the advice from Tom Patrick, ProVUE Development:

If it is open Quit from Panorama X
Open a new window in the Finder
Choose “Go to Folder” from the “Go” menu
Enter ~/Library/Preferences/ and press the “Go” button
Find the file “com.provue.PanoramaX.plist” and move it to the trash
Relaunch Panorama X (this will automatically create new, default preferences)

If you’ve set up any options in the Panorama X preferences window, you will need to set them up again.

Worth to try. Lynn Witherspoon

Thanks for the insight. Now that you mention it I recall that .plist files were a very common source of issues with MacOS years ago. It seems that Apple had pretty much resolved those issues with the more recent Mac OS releases. But perhaps that have returned with Catlina, as it certainly has a lot of bugs. Since there is really no downside, other than minor inconvenience, it is certainly worth a try.

While a .plist problem may explain crashes, I don’t know that it would help with PanoramaX not sending crash reports to Provue. Still could use some insights there.

BTW, I’ve put my user Library folder in the Finder sidebar for easy access. That avoids the hassle of using the file path or using the option key when clicking on the Go menu item.