Panorama X work on iPhone

Will Panorama X work on my iPhone?

This was answered on the FAQ page:

http://www.provue.com/panoramax/faq/#answer4

To save you a click, no, Panorama X will not currently work on iOS. However, unlike Panorama 6, Panorama X is now written in Objective-C, a language that is compatible with the iPhone. So once the Macintosh version of Panorama X is complete we do plan to tackle iOS. However, pretty much all of the UI will have to be rewritten for iOS, so I would expect that this would not be available for at least 18 to 24 months.

I would love to have (and pay for) an App that would easily accept data in the field on an IOS device that could work with native panX files. As hard as that would be to build, I’m sure that would also drive sales to your main panorama X program.

Time flies, but here we are at almost three years later! I wonder if we are any closer to an IOS version of Panorama. It seems that Panorama X is pretty darn stable/complete/congratulations! Any timetable for IOS?

Thanks, but users of Panorama Server won’t agree with this assessment.

Now I’ll quote myself.

One difference from three years ago is that now I think I have a pretty good handle on how the UI will be rewritten for iOS. I believe I’ve got it all mapped out. It definitely looks like at least 18 to 24 months of work. The good news is that this UI work will also benefit the Mac version.

Now that the Mac and iPad have the same Apple Silicon M1 CPU and the utilities Apple provides to allow iOS apps to run in Mac OS, I wonder how much closer are we to having Panorama X on iPad - if not the iPhone. I would like something like Filemaker Pro to Filemaker Go.

Unfortunately, this means nothing in terms of porting a Macintosh app to the iPad. Even if the processor is the same, the software APIs are still just as different as ever.

I’m hoping that tomorrow Apple might announce the reverse, a way to run Macintosh apps on the iPad. It’s a long shot, but it is clearly technically possible, in fact I’m quite confident that Apple has such software in their labs (though I have no inside information about this). I think it’s just a business decision for them as to whether they would ever distribute this capability to the rest of us.