Panorama X quit unexpectedly on macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Closing a Panorama X database on Big Sur after running some procedure randomly quits Panorama X with a message that is sent to Apple automatically that starts with:

Process: PanoramaX [36962]
Path: /Applications/_myApplications/*/PanoramaX.app/Contents/MacOS/PanoramaX
Identifier: com.provue.PanoramaX
Version: 10.1.2 (2854)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: PanoramaX [36962]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2020-11-17 09:41:53.448 -0800
OS Version: macOS 11.0.1 (20B29)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 5.0.1 (18P2561)
Anonymous UUID: 98975C7E-1637-9CEA-97A5-D46F214A374B

Time Awake Since Boot: 160000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000018
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x18:
–>
__TEXT 1065c7000-1068a8000 [ 2948K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/_myApplications/*/PanoramaX.app/Contents/MacOS/PanoramaX

Application Specific Information:
objc_msgSend() selector name: sheetColumnNumber

2 Likes

Same here, but on my computer, all need to get a repeatable crash is to open up my expense file, hit “return” to create a new record and then quit Panorama. The crash screen comes up every time after the quit. When I reopen the file, the new record has been dutifully saved though… so that makes it more of a jump scare with no importance.

I too have seen a few crash notices after I’ve quit Pan X.

i’m getting lots of crashes under big sur, not after i quit, just any time. no catastrophic data loss yet, but it is annoying, and happening way more than it should.

1 Like

It have the impression that Panorama X 10.2.0.b12 crashes more often than Panorama X 10.1.2 and not just when quitting but that is difficult to quantify.

1 Like

the crashes usually occur when closing a file. about 3 or 4 times a day.

1 Like

I was hoping those crashes would be fixed in 10.2 but maybe so when it is officially released. Can you tell me if the frozen highlighted cell in the data sheet bug (from Panorama 10.1 on Big Sur) is fixed in the 10.2 Beta? I just update my system to Big Sur 11.2 and Panorama 10.1 still has frozen highlighted cells in the data sheet and still crashes on quitting if I’ve made any changes to the the database.

I installed the latest beta version of Panorama X 10.2 today and I still experience frequent crashes when closing a database but almost never with any loss of data. The highlighted cell only moves with the up and down arrows but not with the left and right arrows. That makes data entry tricky but Panorama X has a wonderful undo capability if in case you enter data in the wrong field.

1 Like

I guess that is the exact bug I have on Panorama 10.1 up and down arrows work, but not left and right… I hope that gets fixed for the golden master!

What macOS version are you using? My guess is that you must be running macOS 11 Big Sur because Panorama X 10.1 was working just fine on macOS 10.15 Catalina and Panorama X 10.1 and 10.2 have the same problems on macOS 11.1 and 11.2 Big Sur.

Yep, I’m running Big Sur 11.2

i had 54 crashes from 1/25/21 - 3/2/21. panx 10.1.2; big sur 11.1.
i think that’s more than i should have to put up with.

1 Like

I’m having quite a few during the design process on the latest beta; they all happen in graphics mode when I’m tinkering with item placement on a form. I can make 4 or 5 (not sure about these numbers, will start keeping track) but the next one invariably causes a crash.

Yep, after 6 years on a Macbook Air mostly, I figured I’d better be prepared and got a new one. Opening DB with latest BigSur gives error message, including something about trial period – can send screen shot. Get post file close “unexpectedly quit” message. Have also been able to do a couple things, but haven’t tried any of my sophisticated operations. Running PanX 10.1.2 (2854)

I was just working on a file that has had all sorts of problems all along, and it is not getting any better. It just crashed Panorama again, and then crashed it again when I reopen and tried to open another file. I sent it to Jim some time ago. I have been trying to reconstruct it, but there are several complex things in the file, and it takes more work than I have been able to put into it. Graphics are particularly troublesome, but may not be the only thing that causes crashes, probably with some sort of memory corruption, which does not get flushed after a crash. It could be that Panorama is writing something, perhaps to the Restore and Revert cache, that is not working correctly.

You may want to upgrade to macOS 11.2.3 since I seem to experience less Panorama X crashes with each Big Sur update.

I have done that. It does not help. Safari and Panorama are especially prone to crashing.

I found that a procedure that, if triggered out of sequence, causes Panorama to crash. I need to look at it, and see whether I can send it in.

On Big Sur Panorama X quits unexpectedly on quitting. Otherwise it has bee mostly solid. I always save my work before quitting.

Constantly crashing with Big Sur. Hope the new upgrade comes out soon! I really am disappointed with Pan X. I was one of the very early Panorama software (1980s) and loved the quality and ease of use. Not so now.

1 Like

I get a crash every time (unexpected!? NO, expected every time now.) This is a BS (Big Sur) problem, because PanX was working fine under my last system, located somewhere cool in California, but not Catalina or Lompoc.

Question: Should I “report to Apple” (All Praise to It That Sustains Us) every time, or is that just a waste of time?