Panorama X 0.9.004 Build 2586 Release Notes

Yes, that’s what you can do as developer to remove the autoupdate checkbox from the dialog and to prevent this situation for new PanX users.

But I am wondering if your action will reset Bill’s existing preferences.

I am not perfectly sure about the

SUAutomaticallyUpdate

entry in PanX’s preference file – it does not exist in mine; I am not using autoinstalling updates –, but I presume the two Bills will find it in their PanX pref file and it will be set to YES.

My guess is no.

I hope one or both of them sends me the file and then no further speculation will be required.

Interessant fact from the Sparkle documentation: when Autoupdate is checked, Sparkle loads the update in the background without asking you. But it will install the update finally when you quit the program. So I think your issue arose because something went wrong when you did quit PanX. Maybe a crash?

Bill Conable sent me the com.provue.PanoramaX.plist files from both of his computers – thank you Bill!

I opened them with BBEdit, and in both of them I found these two lines near the bottom of the file.

<key>SUAutomaticallyUpdate</key>
<true/>

I think that following these steps will turn off the Sparkle automatic updating feature.

• Make sure Panorama is not running.

• In the Finder, open the Preferences folder in your Library folder.

• Make a copy of your com.provue.PanoramaX.plist file, just in case.

• Using a text editor, open the com.provue.PanoramaX.plist file.

• Find SUAutomaticallyUpdate, and on the next line, change true to false, like this:
    `

SUAutomaticallyUpdate

• Alternately, I think you could simply delete these two lines.

• Save the file, then close the text editor window.

• Open Panorama X, and hopefully the Check for Updates menu item will be enabled and will work.

I can’t guarantee that this will work, and I have no way to test this, but it seems pretty likely.

By the way, this is all predicated on the assumption that at some point in the past, you checked the Automatically download and install updates in the future option when Panorama asked you if you wanted to update, as shown below. The steps outlined above should undo that choice. I’m looking into removing this checkbox since it seems like this option might have problems (the checkbox is displayed by Sparkle, but it appears that it can be disabled).

Perfect! It worked in every way: allowed me to check, showed me the release notes, updated flawlessly. And you guessed right, I had checked the automatically update box right at the beginning.
Thanks!
Bill

David Thompson has figured out a problem with the auto-update. Panorama X comes in a zip file. When you expand the zip file, you get the PanoramaX.app file (many of you will have your browser set to do this automatically, so you may not be aware of that step). If PanoramaX.app stays in the same folder where the .zip file was, auto-update won’t work. When you try to update, you get a message that there is an update error, and that Panorama X can’t be updated when it is on a read only volume. At that point, if you simply quit Panorama and move it to a different folder, the next time you try to update it will work.

For most people, the solution is simple – don’t leave PanoramaX.app in the Downloads folder. Most of you have probably moved it to the Applications folder, so everything worked fine.

But there is a catch – if you moved the .zip file to the Applications folder, and expanded it there, updates won’t work. So make sure you expand the .zip file before moving PanoramaX.app to the Applications folder.

Jim,
I’m a bit late digging into this, but just noticed I had similar “mixed” results.

If it helps, here’s what I found.

I was running 0.9.002. Check for Updates was grayed out. When I restarted PanX it updated to 0.9.003.

Running 0.9.003, Check for Updates was still grayed out, however, I noticed that If I checked immediately after launch Check for Updates was available, but selecting it did nothing. And restarts were not updating to 0.9.004.

After reading your last post I scanned my HD for Panorama files and folders, and .zip files. I had already trashed the PanX .zip files, but I did find in Downloads a folder named Panorama X with a nested folder named webmaster@provue.com containing the real estate db example file. I moved that folder to my Pan folder in Applications, restarted PanX 0.9.003 and it promptly updated to 0.9.004.