No printer icon in toolbar

I just noticed this, too caught up in a hundred other things. I miss the default toolbar down the left side of a form, but can do OK with the toolbar on top. Except one feature I use a lot in Pan 6 is missing - the “Print” button that lets you print just the visible record. I could make one to put on every form (a lot) but I wonder if there is a plan to include this in the toolbar so that it is readily available by default to every form. I see we have File>Print One Record available, but an easily recognized icon would be much handier when dyed-in-the-wool users are involved.

And just to complicate things, I tried Print One Record on a couple of forms and got 2 blank pages in the print dialog preview, no form at all. Preview One Record gets the same thing. This is more critical, and I’m surprised I haven’t seen any discussion about this unless I’m missing something obvious.

Personally I liked the old Panorama toolbar down the side better – of course I do – I invented it! It took up less space, and used horizontal space instead of vertical space, which is usually less precious.

However, for anyone that has never used Panorama before, the old toolbar immediately screams THIS IS A WEIRD, NON-STANDARD APP!! If Panorama is ever going to gain market share, it has to stop screaming that sort of message.

The Panorama X toolbar is a completely standard Apple toolbar, using Apple’s code, and just like hundreds of other applications. It is instantly familiar to any user of modern Mac apps.

Fair enough. This wasn’t really an on-purpose omission, I simply didn’t think to add this to the toolbar, since for the most part the toolbar code was done long before Print One Record was added.

I tried Print One Record on a couple of forms and got 2 blank pages in the print dialog preview, no form at all. Preview One Record gets the same thing. This is more critical, and I’m surprised I haven’t seen any discussion about this unless I’m missing something obvious.

I think there was no discussion about this because it works. I just tested it again on several forms to make sure. So I have no idea why it isn’t working for you.

Following up on Jim’s reply, I found that I could print and preview one record just fine. In my experience problems such as you described often stem from page setup problems. Try checking the page size you’ve set.

William
Conable
, Alexander Workshops, LLC

| Mobile:
509-270-7492

815 Villard St.

Cheney, WA 99004

www.alexanderworkshops.com

It turns out only some forms won’t print, no pattern to this that I can see. All of the forms I’ve tested, whether they print this way or not, are set to US Letter size, 100%. The ones that don’t work all preview 2 blank pages. These don’t print out at all because my printer is set to not print blank pages.

A little more info about this. One of my forms that will print also does strange things. If I have Page Setup in Portrait, I get a full scale image in Preview that truncates the rightmost 1/3 because it is in fact a landscape form and this isn’t the best setting. When I set it to Landscape, which should print the entire form, it produces 2 blank landscape pages, no image at all. I can toggle back and forth between Portrait and Landscape for this form and it follows this pattern.

Several of my forms will act just this way (OK Portrait, 2 blank pages Landscape) but others won’t work either way and a few will print both ways. I remember Pan 6 had some issues with stored print settings that needed to be zapped on occasion to make things work right again, does this apply to Pan X? For every form I’ve tried, the Page Setup is US Letter, 100%.

Don’t know yet. So far, haven’t seen the need for it, and I don’t know how that would be implemented either.

Until recently, it turned out that Panorama X wasn’t storing the page setup information at all. So as soon as the database was closed, it would forget. That was fixed, I think two releases ago.

Panorama X is different than Panorama 6 in how it handles page setup info. Panorama 6 kept separate info for each form. Panorama X doesn’t do that – if you change the page setup, for one form, they all change. There are pros and cons each way. Over the years there has been a LOT of confusion over the fact that the page info was separate for each form. Ultimately, I may provide a way that the page setup can be overridden for individual forms, but the default is for all forms to be the same. But that isn’t going to happen soon.

On the other hand, Panorama X makes it easy to override the page setup info by printing with a procedure, see the Printer option in the printtopdf statement. You can write a procedure that skips all dialogs and prints immediately to a specified printer with the specifications you want.

So if “all print settings are the same” (what I gather from your comments) why do my forms have their own ideas about how they each print? There may be a pattern in the fact that some of my forms go back at least to Pan 3 (heavily modified, but the same original framework) and they seem more likely to be able to print than the newer ones (Pan 5+). The same Portrait/Landscape problem applies to almost all, though.