Link to folder containing .jpg graphics has broken

Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water around Big Sur…

I have a form that organizes the fields in my 3 linked databases to allow easy entry into my primary data sheet. Information stored on the two subsidiary sheets is automatically copied into the form and primary database sheet depending on new information entered. There is graphic field on the form that is linked to a folder containing .jpg files so that I can display a graphic display of part of the original document I am entering into the database. Somehow or the other the graphic link has stopped functioning properly and I need to restore it with the proper procedure. The folder containing the graphics (all.jpg) is located in the same folder as the 3 databases, so I have entered the procedure “SAGinfo/Pctlink” into the formula tab of the “Image Display” object and applied it - “SAGinfo” being the name of the folder containing the graphic files and “Pctlink” the name of the field into which I enter the name of the graphic file to be displayed. Obviously, I’m doing something wrong, as the same graphic is being displayed for each record, rather than the proper graphic corresponding to the file name entered. I assume I don’t know the correct formula from a hole in the keyboard. Please assist.

I do quite a bit with displaying images from disk and it’s been working fine for me on Big Sur.

Your formula is treating Pctlink as the name of the image not as the source for the name. It should be “SAGinfo/”+ Pctlink

One thing I do to test paths is to display the whole construction as text in a TextDisplay object so I can see what I’ve put together and compare that to the actual path. FileExists( and ListFIles( are also helpful ways to analyze my attempts to link to images.

Aha. After some fiddling’ aroun’ I have discovered that the formula must be entered in the “Graphic” field on the FORM, which is logical, and if I scroll up to the next record, which resolutely shows the same graphic as the last record, CLOSE the form and re-open it, the correct graphic is suddenly linked to the “Graphic” field again. It should only take doing that a couple of hundred times to get it all sorted out again…:thinking::crazy_face::scream: It’s a quirky ol’ program, to be sure, but dear to my heart for all that… What will befall us when you upgrade it to my new M-1 chip on this shiny new MacBook Pro, asks I…?

It should only take doing that a couple of hundred times to get it all sorted out again

If you can do it manually you can probably do it programmatically. Can you figure out how, code and loop it faster than you can do it manually?

The form won’t update when it is in graphics mode. But if you switch it to data mode, it will update when you move from record to record. This applies not only to images, but to any type of data displayed in a form. When the form is in graphics mode, it is “frozen” as far as the data is concerned and data updates don’t apply. Panorama 6 was the same way.

I never said I was in graphics mode when I was switching from record to record. I was in data mode. I was only in graphics mode when I entered the formula, naturally. But the field I’m trying to populate is a “Graphic” field which I’m trying to populate with a folder full of graphics and perhaps you misread me…

Below is part of a reply I was sending to James Cook regarding the fact that it is still misbehaving, despite my earlier optimism: (in blue, back to black as I continue with you)

I was premature in my assurance that I had solved the issue. Indeed, the proper graphic shows up after I “refresh” the form by closing and re-opening it. Then I hit the “up” arrow to go to the next record, which still shows the graphic from the record I just left - another “refresh” and the correct graphic pops up. That sequence made me feel I was home free, but, alas, when I decided to go back a record, just to make sure, I found that the record and the graphic refreshed only for as long as I was looking at it, and returned to the incorrect graphic.

BUT, I’m also experiencing another issue which could possibly be affecting this issue, as the “View” menu, as I believe you pointed out in an earlier reply, cannot even be seen if one is not properly logged in on the computer being used, which was the root of my earlier issue, ie: Before I had logged out of my other computer and intro this M-1 MB Pro, I had opened Panorama herein and was offered a trial account. Confused, I checked my Site License and it said I was “logged in”, but what I didn’t understand was that was just some sort of debris from the import, and the fact that it wasn’t showing my e-mail and my role as administrator indicated, in fact, that I was actually logged out by virtue of being on this new computer.

But I ignored the trial offer, puttered around in my database wondering to where the “View” menu had vanished, and finally drifted off to the Forum online, got the correct advice, logged out of PanX on the old computer, properly logged into it on this, but not without receiving the error attached below upon opening the program, and I’ve received it every time that I opened it since. It seems to resent my refusing the offer of a trial account.

I first began having trouble with my graphics link when I tried to enter a new record, and therefore graphic, after I had properly logged onto PanX on this computer. The new record was showing nothing in the graphic field, and then after scrolling up and down from recored to record, everything pretty much went kaflooie. Now after re-entering the formula which had mysteriously vanished from the “Graphic” field in the “E-Z Entry” form - I’m seeing what should be pulled into the Graphics field by said formula - “SAGinfo/”+ Pctlink (name of folder plus name of graphic in folder as entered into a text field) only peripatetically, and I’m wondering if whatever outraged code keeps creating the error message below is also interfering with the proper operation of the form in the “View” menu. Could it be time to reset preferences and hope that solves two birds with one stone?

Lord but I hate migrations - between all the “protections” developers and Apple are attaching to programs and general code the joy of having a new computer is seriously mitigated by the horror of properly populating it…

Thanks,
Richard Fullerton

I was idly and unenthusiastically (I loved that sort of challenge when I got my first Mac 32 years ago, not particularly now) considering that when I realized that it still wasn’t working correctly, as the restoréd correct graphic magically vanished again as soon as I scrolled up or down to the next record…

But thanks for the suggestion,
Richard

The form won’t update when it is in graphics mode. But if you switch it to data mode, it will update when you move from record to record. This applies not only to images, but to any type of data displayed in a form. When the form is in graphics mode, it is “frozen” as far as the data is concerned and data updates don’t apply. Panorama 6 was the same way.

Since there is no such thing as a “graphics field” and there is a “graphics mode”, that is probably the source of my confusion. I’m not trying to be pedantic, but since none of us can see your screen, we have to rely on you for a precise description of what is happening.

The “clearcombo” error message indicates that your preferences are still corrupted. Please follow the instructions recently posted here to completely clear the Panorama preferences. FYI the upcoming 10.2 release has been tweaked to ignore the corruption that causes this error, but for now the problem can only be resolved by completely clearing the preferences. I’m not sure if this is involved in your display update problem but you should definitely resolve the preferences problem before anything else, just in case that is the root cause.

“Image Display Object”, (which sounds suspiciously like it’s also a graphics field, when looked upon in database view) and as I said in my latest post, I deleted the old one, installed a new one, tweaked it a tad, and it’s been running happily ever since.

I’ll trash the preferences to get rid of the Error Wizard that insists on flapping his musty cloak at my desktop. My Preferences were fine until I thought avoiding a free trial while running with a paid subscription might be preferable to activating it. You might want to have a chat with your wizard…

The confusion begins with fields and objects being very different things and never the two shall meet. Programming can be excruciatingly unfriendly when a simple missing comma, period, curly quote, straight quote, or space can just bring everything to a halt.

But then too, you could have a binary field which could hold the binary data for a picture. :slight_smile:

Oh excellent, I didn’t understand that.

The confusion begins with fields and objects being very different things and never the two shall meet. Programming can be excruciatingly unfriendly when a simple missing comma, period, curly quote, straight quote, or space can just bring everything to a halt.

But then too, you could have a binary field which could hold the binary data for a picture. :slight_smile:

Older versions of Panorama used to have that. However, it was difficult to work with, and used huge amounts of memory for no reason – you can’t search, sort, or do anything else with picture data, so there’s no reason to take up space in memory for it.

That has been the nature of all programming from the days of Alan Turing. I don’t see that changing any time soon.

When you had to walk a quarter mile to the computer center - located away from campus as security against riots (Viet Nam era), carrying your cards rubberbanded together, and you get one compile a day - after walking back to the main campus for the rest of your classes and then returning for the output - and seeing that the program don’t run because… see above quote… you learned to check things. And we LIKED IT.

But that’s Old School. Kids today … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember everything Paul said except liking it.

Hey Jim,

Turns out I re-upped my PanX subscription for another 12 months with 2 months left the day before the subscription went on sale for 25% off. How about you throw an extra three months on that thing because you can?

Richard Fullerton