In Praise of Panorama

As I was wrapping up a project, I stopped and marveled at what Panorama had allowed me to accomplish.

There were lots of “standard” Panorama processes involved, but the most exceptional parts involved Panorama’s ability to work outside itself.

Working with Enterprise, a particular process is triggered by a web browser selection. After processing some data, Panorama generates a handful of documents and, using PDFSetup, it saves them as PDFs. Then it builds an AppleScript that runs an Automator action to combine the PDFs into one. When that’s completed it builds another AppleScript to run a shell script to zip and password protect the zipped file. Then it builds a Python script that sends the zipped file as an email attachment to the targeted recipient.

Finally it generates an HTML page from scratch to advise the current user of how it all went and provides the generated password for the zipped files. The HTML includes css, php and javascript tailored to the moment by Panorama.

Along the way it created folders, adjusted permissions, organized the PDFs and then cleaned up after itself by deleting all but the zip file.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Panorama’s biggest limitation is between my ears. There’s a way to get it to do anything that my Mac is capable of. I just have to figure it out.

1 Like

When people ask me what Panorama does, I say that it can solve any problem that they can define. I haven’t yet disproved that.

1 Like

Am I missing something? Is Pan X Enterprise working and available?

No, you’re not. The original post was incorrectly put in the Panorama X category.

We love Panorama. It is the workhorse and backbone of my business. We are looking forward to Pan X Enterprise.

I’ll beg to differ. The post was about Panorama. I thought hard about which category to post to, and while I referred to Enterprise in Pan 6, all of what I noted on Panorama working outside itself applies to Pan X too. I’ve already utilized many of those capabilities in Pan X.

My post was about Panorama - period. So I decided to post to the more current category.

Well, I’ll take it. In fact, I could have changed the category on this thread, but I didn’t.

I’m glad to hear James mention that he is looking forward to Panorama X Enterprise. I’m kind of surprised more people haven’t asked about that. (Jim Cook - I know you are are looking forward to it). I’m really anxious to get back to working on the server version full time soon.

I am definitely looking forward to the Panorama X Server. I just did not want to bug you too much about. In fact, if it was done today, I could install it next week at one of my customers and you would have a new Panorama user. :slight_smile:

All of my clients are multiuser. I stopped asking because it’s clear that it will get done when it gets done.

I keep a close eye on each one of Jim’s updates for any hint of Enterprise/Server. I’m patiently waiting for it. Unfortunately, our company doesn’t have any use for PanX without Enterprise. :cry:

Same here……until multi user is available in X we’ll be sticking with v6.