Not that I know of. Here's a refrain that I'm sure you're all tired of, this is is implemented by Apple's code. It is supposed to just work. I just tried this in Keynote, and the hidden tools work in that application. So obviously I am doing something wrong. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out what. It's probably a one line fix, but sometime's it can incredibly difficult to figure out what that one line is and where it goes.
Just did a quick search, and this has been in the issue tracker for 2 years. I've known about it for longer than that.
I just thought of a google search to try, and I think I may have found the problem! It's not a one line fix, unfortunately, but there may be progress on this front in the near future. If you are interested in the details I just added a note at the end of the Bitbucket issue.
Also, there's another bug that apparently no one has ever noticed -- the tools don't work in Text Only mode. This turns out to be related, in fact I thought to try this because of the Apple documentation I found.