Group . . . . I want my records to stay in place

I want to Group some records, without them being sorted. Can I do that?

NO! to Group Up, NO! to Group Down. YES to Group STAY in the order I have you!!!

Is this possible? Was in Pan 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Overvue??? perhaps. Don’t remember.

You didn’t mention Panorama X, but I assume that’s what you mean. Sorry, it’s not possible to group without sorting in this version (you are correct, this could be done in Panorama 6). Internally, the code that does grouping is now built into the sort function, so it is not possible to separate these.

Really sad about that. Glad I only use it about 4 times a year for a maximum of 100 records each time. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Jim. I am trying to learn Panorama X.

Eileen

Could you introduce another field say “Stay” that could contain your sequence # prior to Grouping then re-establish that original sequence after ?

I used it every day!

Hi Jim,

Panorama since dirt, and now Panorama X. Since upgrading, I can’t figure out how to select and group and I need to. By this I mean the feature that used to allow one to select (and highlight) records manually and then call up all the selected records into a group. Please tell me I can do this, but just can’t figure out how?

Thanks,
Gala

You cannot do this. There is no way to convert a regular record into a summary record or vice versa, and no way to select summaries. This is not the purpose of summary records, it caused all sorts of problems, it has been discouraged for more than 2 decades, and in Panorama X this has been completely removed. It will not be put back, so don’t ask.

The recommended solution is to add another field to the database. Put a checkmark in whatever records you want to select, and then select based on that.

Thanks for the work-around!