Enterprise server variables

Two questions about server variables:

1. Is there a tool or a function or some easy way to list all server variables associated with a given database?
  2. Is there a way to delete a server variable?

(I’m sure the answer is: look in the fabulous 3,000,001 pages of documentation, but I’m not finding anything about this topic. :smiley: )

Thanks,

– Mark

In the Wizards menu, look under Developer Tools for Variables. It works for Panorama and on a server running Panorama Enterprise. For the latter, you do need to have hands on access to the server.

The Variables Wizard has a menu to select among the open databases, then you can choose to view the values of Globals, FIleGlobals and Permanent variables.

There are also a number of functions for finding them yourself. info(“FileVariables”), info(“GlobalVariables”), info(“WindowVariables”) and servervariable( thedb, thevar ). The last requires that you know the name of the database and variable to get the value of the one variable.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to by “Server Variables” unless you mean the ones assigned by Enterprise itself. While you can view their values, and often enough change them, I don’t know that you should delete them. Enterprise may need them and/or recreate them.

If they’re variables you’ve created, you can use Undefine to eliminate them.

Happy 4th of July! :us:

And thank you for your prompt response! :slight_smile:

– Mark

Panorama doesn’t have any supported method for getting a list of the server variables, and there also isn’t any way to delete them. Sounds like possible suggestions for Panorama X Server.

If you’re really keen to find out what the server variables are, you would need to download the database to your computer, then look at the list of permanent variables. All server variables are actually permanent variables on the server copy of the database. Panorama Server does create 4 or 5 permanent variables for it’s own use, so you’ll want to ignore those.

Alternately, if the database is also web published, you could write a web procedure that would return a list of permanent variables in HTML format. You could also write a web procedure to delete a server variable, by using the unpermanent statement.

1 Like