Duplicate Field Names

I can only think that having 2 fields with the same name would be looking for problems. Yet it appears to let me do this. Shouldn’t this be prevented?

Other than formulas and assignments, I don’t think there is any problem with duplicate field names. Of course that’s a pretty big “other than”.

Panorama 6 and earlier versions allowed duplicate field names. Any change from Panorama 6 elicits howls of condemnation. I am frequently lambasted because “Panorama X is nothing like Panorama 6,” when actually I went to what I consider to be herculean lengths to try to make Panorama X as close to Panorama 6 as possible, considering that it is a brand new program on a different operating system.

If you’re ok with it, I’ll step aside. Personally, I think it is so open for problems. If I was doing a conversion from Pano 6 to Pano X, I’d like to know about it so I could fix it. And now when I see it can be accomplished while stupid, I’d actually like to have a dialog stopping me from doing it, or at least asking me if I was ok.

Moving on. Appreciate the response.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time” - John Lydgate, fifteenth-century monk and poet. Later borrowed and modified by Abe Lincoln and several others.

I can’t imagine a situation where I’d want to KEEP a duplicate field name, but in the process of design there might be a window where allowing both is okay - tossing responsibility to the user.

I’m thinking of the hassle of creating subfolders in Thunderbird. If I accidentally mess up a name - forget to uppercase a letter for example - when I try to rename it - actually an “edit” changing the first letter to upper case - I’m disallowed because Thunderbird thinks I’m adding a duplicate folder name.

If you are naming fields in Panorama and call one X, then further on you see another one would fit the X name better, you can create it on the spot, then go back and change the original X field name. Sure, changing the first then adding to the second is the same as adding the second then changing the first. But it’s nice not to be forced into an “order or actions”.

It might be handy for a warning that you are creating a duplicate, but I’d find that more useful in Form Design activity rather than initial design sheet structure.