Default to "Find" button in Find/Select dialog?

Is there any way to make the “Find” button the default in the Find/Select dialog? Most of my searches are finds, so it would be easier for me.

Not a change of the default button, but another shortcut:

From the documentation:

Find and Find Next

Another way to locate data is to “find” it … There are two ways to find a record from inside the Find/Select dialog -— either double click on it in the preview or press the Find button. Double clicking on a record in the preview closes the dialog and causes Panorama to jump to the actual record in the database.

Yeah, I was aware of that. Neither is my preference.

I’m thinking maybe I’ll just use a macro program to click on the Find button…

Use the OpenView wizard from the View menu with the +Libraries option turned on. Search for FindSelectDialog and double-click that entry to open the FindSelectDialog form. Once open change it to graphics mode and then select the Select button and uncheck the Default option for it in the Option panel. Now select the Find button and change it to Default in the Options panel. Save and close the form and Find should be the default button for this dialog going forward. Note that you will have to do this with every Panorama X update that comes along.

I’m not going to promise to do this, but I’ve put this on the list for possible consideration in the future.

Thanks. I tried it out and that’s really quite remarkable. The ability to change the actual app dialog boxes is exhilarating and it also makes me a little bit terrified about how much I am now able screw up. Amazing.

You can always “unscrew it up” by downloading and installing a fresh copy of Panorama.

Thanks for considering the possibility, Jim.

I bought the video training course and have been devouring it because during the past 33 years I’ve built the administration of our small nonprofit organization on top of Panorama, and so there was a lot I needed to re-learn now that I’ve finally decided to upgrade. The video course is spectacular, and it has been very helpful for me in converting from Pan 6. Thanks for how conversational and personable you were while answering questions and explaining things on the course.

I was thrilled to hear, while listening to the course, that you actually worked at Alpha Micro. I managed a nonprofit’s Alpha Micro computer system in the early 1980’s and have been aware of and followed your work since VUE and SuperVUE. I started keeping records on my Mac in 1986 or 1987 on Excel, and wes thrilled when OverVue came around. I migrated from that to Panorama 1 through 6. So I’m amazed at what you’ve accomplished with Pan X. Great job, and keep up the great work.

1 Like

Yes, I worked at Alpha Micro from 1978 to 1980. I originally wrote PolyVUE for CP/M in 1977, when I went to Alpha Micro I originally wrote AlphaVUE as an unofficial side project - Alpha Micro had no plans for a visual editor.

That was all a long time ago! Though Panorama 6 is still written in the same assembly language that AlphaVUE and SuperVUE were written in. It worked well for a long time but I’m very glad to be working with more modern tools now.

I think the “poly/Alpha/Super/OverVUE” transitioning to Panorama theme is ingenious. Nicely done. :slight_smile: I always admired the ability to work in assembly language, though I never even attempted. 1980 is about when I started working with Alpha Micros, so I guess we kind of missed each other, though I’ve been following you since then. I think I’ve been sort of a lone wolf when it comes to programming, and I’m finding the insights from this group to be most helpful. Thanks for creating all of this.

In 1980 I left Alpha Micro as an employee, but that’s when I went full time with my own company, and up until about 1987 most of the revenue was from Alpha Micro software (mostly SuperVUE). I was very active in the Alpha Micro community, I was on the board of the Alpha Micro User Society (AMUS) through most of the 1980’s and also participated in IAMDA, the international Alpha Micro Dealer Association. So we may have crossed paths if you were participating in those communities. I have a lot of good memories from those dqys, there were a lot of great people involved in the Alpha Micro community.

Ah yes, AMUS and ANDI and IAMDA. Brings back memories. I worked for LMS Technical Services for a while in Long Island and attended several AMUS meetings when I worked for the nonprofit in Phoenix. Even got offered a job with Alpha Micro in Chicago once. I don’t think we crossed paths, though. I’m sure I would have remembered you; I always thought anyone who could program in assembler was magical.