Choices Field: Grouping Issues and Editor Mode

It seems that GroupUp does not work well in a Choices field.
I have a field with categories. As long as I use it as a text field, grouping up works perfectly and shows the results for 35 categories + 1 Grand Total.
If I use it as a choices field and the database is not sorted by categories in this field, the same analyze procedure delivers the categories obviously not grouped up, they appear many times. In fact, my database now sums up for >2500 categories.
If I sort the categories before grouping (up), then I get my correct 35 categories + 1 Grand Total.
So it seems to me that the “Sort Up” part of the “Group Up” process is failing in choices fields.

Another issue:
The “Automatic” editor mode of a choices field aka “Choices Palette” does not seem to work. I cannot confirm my picked choice with tab or enter, the choices panel remains open. I have to close the data sheet in order to get out of this mode.

I then changed my “categories” field to a text field, because I had to enter some changes.
Very irritating: The Editor Mode remained “Automatic” and continued to display the persistent Choices Palette with the radio buttons.
I think, when the field type is changed from CHOICES to TEXT, Panorama X should switch the Editor Mode from “Automatic” to “Text”, too.

I have added the GroupUp problem to this issue:

The “Automatic” editor mode of a choices field aka “Choices Palette” does not seem to work. I cannot confirm my picked choice with tab or enter, the choices panel remains open. I have to close the data sheet in order to get out of this mode.

I cannot duplicate this. I can confirm this choice with the Return, Enter, or Tab keys. I can about the selection and close the Choice Panel by pressing ESC or clicking outside the panel. Here is an example where I exited by pressing the Return key (after pressing the “M” key to select meat, but it also worked when I clicked to select).

So I am currently baffled as to why it isn’t working for you.

I then changed my “categories” field to a text field, because I had to enter some changes.
Very irritating: The Editor Mode remained “Automatic” and continued to display the persistent Choices Palette with the radio buttons.

This is normal and expected – Panorama 6 worked basically the same way. That is in fact the reason why the Editor Mode option is available – so you have a choice. But the default is that if there are choices listed, the Choice Palette is used. Otherwise, why would you ever set up choices for a Text field?

In looking at these issues, I also found a bug that you did not report – you cannot completely get rid of the choices once you have set them up.