Checkbook question

Hope I can ask a programing question here.

I’m looking for a way to add categories to a single debit entry such as a payment to a credit card company where there are multiple purchases and therefore multiple categories but only a single check or payment.

There are several ways to do this, but if I were doing it, I would probably set up a separate file for the credit card purchases. You could set them up to be viewed in the checkbook file if that is what you want.

It is possible to do it any way you want, but it is complicated. The more complicated your bookkeeping is, the more complicated the programming.

There are many ways, and as Bruce wrote, it depends a lot on the detail of your bookkeeping.

Couple of ways…

Use Line Items. You can have many fields with the same attributes such as Debit1, Debit2, Debit3 and even have matching Description fields. They work together to provide the sum in a Balance or Total field for the record; the record representing a single check.

Or use a matrix to handle the equivalent of several fields within one field. Ultimately this one allows more separate entries on a single check since you don’t have to predetermine a ceiling.

Either way you can display it something like this on a check’s form:

Thanks to you both. Since I don’t need to be too detailed, I will try the line item approach. That should work.

Paul